Monday 31 March 2014

Understanding Finances

  I am aware I would need funds after I finish university to buy supplies and to fund attending conventions and fairs, so since the end of second year I have been saving money to self fund my part time illustration jobs. Although before I get a normal job I will attend interviews with publishers and greeting card companies. I do have a interview with Hampton Bond International who recently have began to publish children's books, and I need to make sure I am fully prepared so may have to put off getting a part time job this means I need to fund myself until them. After I have attended interviews I may need to get a part time job until I am stable enough a few years down the line to become a full time illustrator.
  For my promotional items are mainly made them in house as this saved costs and adds the hand made affect like my actual illustrations though this came with its downfalls as it meant I spent a lot more time creating them than if I had just sent them to a printer. I also had to rely a lot on other people as I couldn't use the machinery needed on my own without a professional. This caused many issues of having to work my time around them meaning I haven't been able to get things as finished as I wanted due to the technician having to have time off work, this pushed me back even though I had been working with them for over a month planning this. The only item I sent off for was the banner as I couldn't print such a large image to a high quality, though luckily due to a contact I made at a convention managed to get a good deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment