Monday 17 March 2014

Business Card

  My original business card was designed to be given out at conventions and fairs. I got them printed at vistaprint and found that due to the cheap cost the printing quality wasn't brilliant, but they served the purpose I needed them for because at conventions about 70% of the cards handed out will be binned or lost so cheaper cards are more appropriate. Whereas for publishers I want to hand out more professional and high quality cards so I have decided to redesign my business cards and then so not to conflict I will use the same cards for both.

  I feel my first set of business cards design was crowed so this time I will go with a simpler design that wont crowd or overpower such a small space.  When designing my new cards I thought they should showcase what I do best; I am going to laser cut my business cards as paper cutting is my main way of creating illustrations. To do this I will have to learn how to use the laser cutter and I have already set up a date to do so. But I always have like to hand craft my images so before I put them to be laser cut I will hand but the image then scan it and trace it and then put it though the laser cut. This will mean the laser cut images will still have followed my hand cut design making them feel more like my illustrations.

  Here are some of my designs that I made that would be laser cut.






  After looking over these designs I found I wasn't 100% happy and decided to do some more. I wasn't to keen on the idea of making the cards see through, although they would be unique and beautiful to look through it would make the card flimsy and easy to tear, so if the card got damaged and became unreadable this would mean I wouldn't be able to be contacted. I will try out and test a see through card but will also test a layered card.


  Test stage.

Front of Cards from left to right, My first business card from vistaprint, hand cut double layered test and a see through card.

Back of Cards from left to right, My first business card from vistaprint, hand cut double layered test.

See through card close up

  After making the testers I have decided to create the double layered card as it stops the card from easily tearing. I have also chosen this as I couldn't think of a mass production way of to print the text onto the card, it would rip if put through a printer and letter pressing the text would be to time consuming, so it would be more efficient to use the double layered card.

Final card design
 Due to issues with getting my work laser cut I had to hand cut my final design but will be getting the laser cut cards on Friday.



No comments:

Post a Comment