Friday 28 March 2014

Banner designs

  The purpose of the banner is to be eye catching and to inform people of who I am. It will be used at fairs and conventions to attract people to my table, so I have to make the image engaging and interesting. The banners size is 200cm x 85cm since I cant cut an image that size I scaled it down 4 times, this made the image slightly larger than A3 making easier to cut. I wanted the image to show my main work so I wanted to add a narrative to the image. After a few designs I decided to go with third design inspired by the fairy tale the wild swan princess. 

Design 1 and 2

Design 3

Swan study and test ideas 
  After deciding the image I needed a way to display the text, I went through 3 ideas on how to incorporate the text but decided to go with a simple boarder as I was unsure on how large the text would need to be. 

Typography
  When adding the text to the banner I went through multiple fonts. But as I was testing them out I had to make sure that they fit a certain criteria, the font had to be easy to read close up and a far, I wanted to make sure that the font is readable to everyone so went though rounder texts like Helvetica because its easier for people with dyslexia to read and that the fonts them selves didn't clash. 
Dawning of anew day
  I like this font but I find that it could be hard to read and doesn't look quite right, a thicker bolder text may stand out and not out way the black lines in the image.
Minion Pro
I like this font as its clean cut and easy to read, it stands out.
Tranjan pro

Vtks Beautiful dreams
  I found this font though looks nice its complicated and unclear and wouldn't be easier to read, it would take a while to sink in rather than glancing past and reading it straight away.
  In the end I chose a simple and clean font because I want it to be easy to read from close or afar. I also chose a more weighty text so it matched the thick black lines of the image. Here is a photo of my banner set up, I like the way it printed and think it will defiantly attract people over to my table at conventions. 


No comments:

Post a Comment