Friday 28 March 2014

Risograph

  For my postcards I wanted to see how well my work translated into other printing forms. I chose riograph printing as it is cheap when you print in bulk and has a high quality finish. I had never used a risograph machine and was unsure of how my work may print but I wanted to find different ways of reproducing my work without a laser cutter. 
  I decided to base my image around the Brothers Grimm fairy tale red rose and snow white, I chose this as at the time I only had access to to a red and black drum and I didn't want my image to be restricted by these so picked a story in witch match. 
  Before jumping in I did some ruff sketches of my favourite parts of the story and the characters to see what stood out.



  In the end I decided on a simple design that would appeal to children and young adults so I could use the prints as promotional items and to sell at conventions. I first hand cut the black as I still wanted the handmade feel within the illustration, I then added the red on Photoshop as it needed to be a separate layer for the risograph machine to read it. Once I had created my image I went to a tutorial on how to use the machine and then booked in a day to use it. I found this machine easy to use but even after checking the images lined up sadly they couldn't line up properly on the paper as I had 4 onto one A3 sheet. This means my 204 prints aren't perfectly aligned but that is charm of in house printing, and I still feel that they are good prints that I will use. I have only done a limited run and never plan to print it again making the prints I have limited edition. I feel my work translated really well into a risograph print and that this is one way I could print my work that has a limited colour pallet. 
 Finally I will use these A5 prints to promote my work and show how my work can be printed, I intend to leave one with every children's book publisher and then sell the rest at conventions as limited edition prints. Risograpgh printing was defiantly worth the cost if you do a large enough run and will consider this was of printing in the future. 



No comments:

Post a Comment